Our church library, located off the Witherspoon Building lobby, offers a variety of resources for both children and adults, for personal exploration and enjoyment and for supporting church programs and leaders. The sections on Bible study, beliefs, church history, worship, and Christian life are extensive. The library is open whenever the Witherspoon Building is open. An easy-to-use computer catalog is available for locating resources, and is now available online. Books can be borrowed on a self-checkout system.
Children’s Book Cart is Available in Jane Bell Gathering Space
Worship is the heart of our life as a community of faith. Families that worship together are teaching their children what it means to be a people of faith. But we know it is not always easy to sit with a wiggly, inquisitive child. That’s why we introduced the Caldwell library cart. The Caldwell Cart has children’s Bibles and other books to use during worship. Please remember to return books to the cart after the worship service. If you wish to check out other books, visit the Caldwell Library in the Witherspoon building. Worship bags will continue to be available as well--just ask for one from the ushers.
Online Library Card Catalog
The card catalog for WMPC's Caldwell Library is online. View the online catalog and see if the book you want is part of the library collection. Since we do not use the system to track circulation, you can not use the online catalog to see if a book is currently checked out. Use the catalog to select items of interest and then visit the Caldwell Library on the second floor of the Witherspoon Building.
Everything You Need to Know About Your Church Library
- To get to the Caldwell Library, come into the front door of the Witherspoon Building, turn right and you’re there. The library is open whenever the Witherspoon Building is open.
- To find a specific book, go to the computerized card catalog. Directions are posted.
- If you like to browse: The large, main room contains an excellent collection of Bible commentaries and references, resources for Bible study, theology, church history, devotions, aging, parenting, marriage, grief and divorce recovery. The small room to the left just inside the door contains children's easy books, juvenile books, adult fiction and biographies. The display areas present recent acquisitions and books of special interest. The library also has a small collection of CDs, videos, and large print books.
- The library subscribes to four periodicals displayed in a revolving stand: Presbyterian Outlook comes weekly and offers interesting news about Presbyterians, special articles and book reviews. Presbyterians Today is a monthly denominational publication. The Christian Century is a bimonthly magazine focused on theology, politics and culture. Horizon is a Presbyterian women's periodical.
- To check out a book, print your name and telephone number on the book card. Stamp the card and book and leave the card on the desk. Most books are available for three weeks. To renew a book either leave a note in the library with your name and the book title for renewal, or email the library with the book title you wish to renew.
- If your book is overdue, you will receive a friendly phone call reminder. Later, you may receive a follow-up postcard.
- Every Sunday morning there is a volunteer on duty in the library to offer assistance between worship services..
- The Church Educator is the staff person in charge of the Caldwell Library.